Taking Sides
Tony Horwitz has an encounter with a waitress at the Capitol Restaurant who seems frustrated about the whole flag situation. She comments how no one would have noticed if the flag was taken down in the middle of the night without telling anyone. In her final statement to Tony, she argues that "as soon as you make an issue of something, everyone feels they got to pick sides." I completely agree with this statement as I have recently found myself in a situation to "pick sides."
My friend, Andrew asked me to help him study for calculus. I was glad to help even though we had different calculus professors. Andrew asked me how to prove a mathematical statement. I gave him what I believed to be the answer while he argued with me regarding a different answer. He made an issue out of not knowing a mathematical proof (when he really did know it), I took one side, and he took another. Thus, conflict was created. Needless to say this bickering of ours only lasted a few minutes but nonetheless, the issue was announced and just as the waitress said, we felt like we had "to pick sides."
My friend, Andrew asked me to help him study for calculus. I was glad to help even though we had different calculus professors. Andrew asked me how to prove a mathematical statement. I gave him what I believed to be the answer while he argued with me regarding a different answer. He made an issue out of not knowing a mathematical proof (when he really did know it), I took one side, and he took another. Thus, conflict was created. Needless to say this bickering of ours only lasted a few minutes but nonetheless, the issue was announced and just as the waitress said, we felt like we had "to pick sides."

No comments:
Post a Comment