Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Response to Ignorance
Nina's Ingnorance blog is a prime example of our society today. I agree with Nina in that our generation seems oblivious to their culture simply because of our ignorance and I also agree that this should change! As a mut of an American, I am mostly European (German, Italian, Irish, and Check to be exact). Only recently have I became interested in my family history and the blood that runs through my veins. Though the culture that comes with it so vague from my muddy bloodline, my full German grandmom and full Irish grandpop are extremely knowledgeable of their cultures and traditions. I've lived with my Oma (German for grandmom) for some time when I was young and I hold only a few of those traditions such as Nickolausabend, Oktoberfest, and the little German bored games like Mensch Argere Dich Nicht. However, I would love to learn more of not only my German culture but of Irish, Italian, and Check as well! Learning and living our culture is a simple way to eliminate that omnipresent fear of a homogeneous society, so why is our generation so ignorant? I'm not sure....ask them....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment